Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I cost myself money

Playing 10/20 hold 'em with a 1/2 kill, I was sitting in the small blind. I had won the previous pot (holding AQ in the big blind, I flopped top pair, and took down a big pot without a showdown on the river).

Three players limped, and I looked down to find AQ, suited in diamonds. Since I had already posted the $15 kill, I could knuckle and take the flop, but I felt my hand was more than strong enough to raise against the big blind and three limpers, even with my poor position, so I popped it.

Everyone called, and the flop came K, J, 3, all diamonds.

What a flop! My first thought was, how do I make the most money? I basically owned the deck, holding both the Ace and Queen, with the King on the flop. But, it would be suspicious to check.

So, I bet. The big blind folded, and the next player raised. One player called and it was back to me.

I put her as reading me for AK, maybe with a diamond, and I put her on two pair. I figured she would bet the turn, and I could trap the middle caller with a check-raise. So I called.

The turn was a Jack. Now, I was unsure if my opponent -- an "auto-bettor" -- made a full house. I was pretty sure my flush was good; in fact, if she bet, I might still check-raise (she loves to bet and loves to bluff, so her checks are actually more scary than her calls). But, I stuck to plan and checked, half hoping she'd bet, half hoping she wouldn't. She checked, as did the third player.

The river was a blank, I fired, she called, the other player folded, and my Ace high flush was good (she had flopped two pair, King Crab, kings and threes).

I kicked myself as I raked in the pot. Given the action, checking the turn when the Jack paired made sense. If there was action, I couldn't be sure that my flush was good, yet the pot was big enough that folding would be incorrect.

My big mistake was not three-betting the flop. I bet, she raised, and the third player cold called. I should have raised, hoping she'd pump it again and building a pot. The Jack on the turn is a horrible card, giving my opponents a possible full-house (if she flopped Kings and Jacks or if he flopped a set).

As it turned out, my hand was good, and I raked a nice pot -- $300. But it could have been bigger.

I was victim of what Mike Caro calls "Fancy Play Syndrome." And cost myself at least another couple of bets.

But, it's tough to kick yourself too hard when you're raking the pot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home