Monday, March 28, 2005

T,7s in the blind

I was in the small blind with T,7 suited in spades.
There were 3 limpers, including the button, and I called. The big blind checked, and we took the flop 5 handed.
The flop came great for my hand: K, 9, 6, with two spades - I flopped a gutshot straight draw and a flush draw - 12 outs.
I checked, hoping to have a big field see the turn with me. It checked to the button, who bet. I called, and everyone folded behind me.
The turn was a blank - offsuit trey.

Check or bet?! I checked, the button bet. Check-raise, fold or call? I called.

The river was another blank - offsuit deuce. I checked, the button bet, I folded.

A pretty uninteresting hand. With position, I may have been able to take this pot, even without hitting my hand. I checked the flop because I didn't want a raise to shut out the field. If the big blind had bet and everyone called, I might have raised to build a big pot.

Since it folded to the button, I smooth-called, hoping for overcalls.

I could have led or check-raised on the turn. I'm confident that if I hit the straight or flush, my hand is good. I might also win by catching a 10. But, I check-called.

I think I played this hand weakly and meekly. My opponent was very loose and somewhat aggressive, especially with position. I did nothing to give him a chance to fold, and since I didn't catch, he took down the pot. The only benefit to my play is that I probably could have check-raised the river.

Of course, if I check-raise the turn and miss, and then bet, he'll likely call with any pair. If I bet out the turn, he might fold. If he calls, I can re-evaluate on the river. If I am raised on the turn, I can play back at him, or call with lots of outs.

Preflop: I think calling for 1/2 a bet from the small blind with T,7s is a good play.
Flop: Checking into a big field after a king flops (and with a coordinated board) is a decent play. A strong argument could be made for betting here, too.
Turn: After the field folded to the flop bet, I should have bet the turn. This is a much better play than check-calling, as it gives me another way to win: my opponent might fold. Betting the turn might also help me to get paid off if I do catch my draws on the river (opponent might be less likely to think I'd bet on the come).
River: Check-folding the river isn't a bad play here. My opponent wasn't going to lay down any pair, and with a Ten high, I had little chance of taking the pot.

Comments welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home