Tuesday, March 29, 2005

playing JJ UTG

10/20 game with a 1/2 kill, I was under the gun and the kill was on, in late position.

I raised with JJ. The next two players called, the kill poster called, the next two players called, and the big blind did, too.

Wow! Tight game, and a lot of respect for an under the gun raise! Seven players to the flop for 2 bets.

The flop came J, 6, 6. What a flop! With this many opponents, I elected to play it fast, so I bet. One player called, and the next said raise! Everyone else folded to me. I re-raised, and they both called.

Turn was a blank, and I fired. The first player folded, and the other raised again! I re-raised, and he called. My ony worry was if he had 6,6 and had flopped quads, but considering that too remote a possibility, I felt a re-raise was clearly in order. If he had popped it again on the turn, I might have to slow down.

The river was an ace, and I fired. He paid me off, and I raked a monster pot. He didn't show, but based on the action, he put me on an overpair (of AJ, though I'd been playing pretty tight, and he is a fairly observant opponent) and he had a 6. Considering the board texture, I thought it was unlikely I could make more money slowplaying the hand and trying to let other people in.

My opponent played this pretty well. I might have played an overpair in much the same way (though, I wouldn't have re-raised the turn or bet out the river). Though, once I did re-raise the turn, it was going to cost him another $60 to see the river. When I re-raised the turn, that put $495 in the pot, so if he figured that it would cost him another $60 to get to the showdown, he was getting more than 8 to 1 to just call it down. If he thought that there was any chance I was on a bluff or an overpair, those odds could be worse (he also had been crushing the game, so had a mountain of chips in front of him).

The final size of the pot was $585.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home