Tuesday, May 17, 2005

straight forward play usually makes the most $

Mike Caro calls it "FPS" - Fancy Play Syndrome. It's when you opt for the fancy play rather than the most straight-forward one. Sometimes FPS costs you a pot you would have otherwise won; sometimes, it just costs you money.
The game was 10/20 with a 1/2 kill, and the kill was on, making it 15/30.
I was in early position with 22, and limped behind two callers. The player behind me and the button called.
The flop came 9, 3, 2 rainbow. One player led, I smooth-called* and the player behind me raised. The big blind called, as did the initial raiser. I called**.
The turn paired the 3. It was checked to me, and I checked***, looking to check-raise the field. The flop-raiser checked.
The river was a Jack, it was checked to me and everyone folded to the initial flop bettor, who reluctantly called with Ace, 9.

* I could have immediately raised on the flop; I might have shut out the field behind me, or they may have come along for the ride. I like the call here, and am hoping someone raises.
** I could have made it three bets here, which, in retrospect, would have been the right play. I would have trapped them for an additional small bet, and then, would bet (or raise) the turn.
*** Going for the check-raise after the board pairs is a dangerous move; I was confident that my full house was good, and wanted maximize the money. But, given the action, I was not confident that my opponent would oblige with a bet. I should have bet the turn.

In this instance, FPS cost me at least $90 (both players would have called my flop raise; one of them may have re-raised; both players also would have called my turn bet). Both players had a 9, one with an ace kicker, so they would have given me action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home