Wednesday, May 04, 2005

when opponents don't understand your play

I was in the big blind. The game was fired up.
A very loose and aggressive player raised a limper from middle position and the field folded to me.
I have very little respect for this particular player's moves; he raises from the blinds fairly often with suspect hands, and will open raise with on a whim, sometimes with as little as A,xs -- or worse.
I looked down and found pocket 9s. Wanting to knock out the limper -- who, in my opinion is also a bad player -- I three-bet the pot.
They both called, and the flop came QQ5.
I bet, the limper folded, the pre-flop raiser called.
The turn was an ace, definitely not the card I wanted to see. But, I grit my teeth and bet, determined to fold if he raised. He called.
The river was a deuce. I bet, he called, I turned over my 9s, and won the pot (he had pocket 8s).
This is not an exceptional hand; I got a little lucky that my opponent had the exact hand he held, but having played with him many times, I wasn't surprised to take down the pot.
After I showed my hand, the limper expressed shock (maybe outrage?) at my holding.
"You three-bet with 9s? How could you three-bet with 9s?"
Well, I felt that I had the best hand pre-flop, but that it was a vulnerable holding; any overcard would be dangerous, even if he held a suspect hand like J,8 (the kind of hand he is often willing to play). By forcing him to cold-call two bets, I was hoping to drive him out and play the pot heads-up. He foiled my plan by calling, but then he got in line and folded on the flop.
But, telling him all this would have been a waste of breath.
So I told him, "I'm just looking for action, looking to lose my money as fast as possible, having fun and raising it up."
I like how I played the hand. I evaluated my opponents and my holding and maximized my win while minimizing my potential loss (I can get away from pocket 9s pretty easily if I feel that I am beat). If my opponent doesn't understand all my plays, then I must be in the right game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home