Monday, April 25, 2005

you made a full house - should you bet?

Usually, when you make a full house, you want to be betting and raising until the cows come home.
But, not always.

In a 10/20 game at the Borgata in Atlantic City, I picked up 55 on the button, and limped behind 4 other players. Both blinds came.
The flop was K, 7, 5, with two spades.
The big blind bet, and was raised by a middle position player. Having played with her before, I knew she had a King, but also knew it was doubtful that she held K7, unless it was suited. I re-raised, looking to charge anyone on a spade draw the max.
The big blind and raiser both called.
The turn was a king, giving me a full house. The big blind checked, she bet, and I raised. I put her on KJ or KT, maybe K9. Having played with her before, I knew she would have been likely to raise pre-flop with AK or KQ.
They both called.
The river was a 5, giving me quads, and making a full house for anyone with a king.
The big blind again checked, she again bet, and I raised. The big blind folded, and she called.
I scooped a nice pot.
Given the action, there's little reason for her to bet on the end. If I have a King, we'll split the pot (and, I won't fold). If I have pocket 7s, I'm clearly beat, and shouldn't call (though, I do understand that most players would call with 7s full in this spot; if the action on the flop and turn had been different, calling with 7s full might be right, but given the action, she was clearly holding a King, making it an easy fold with 7s full).
So, her bet on the end: either I fold (and she makes no more money); I call (and we split the pot, and she makes no more money); or I raise, either with the same hand or a better one (meaning she either doesn't win anymore money or loses more money).
In most cases, if you make your full house, you should be betting, raising, check-raising --- whatever it takes to build the pot and win more money.
You'll rarely be up against quads, but sometimes you'll be against a better full house; be aware of this possibility can save you a lot of money over your career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home